At Fort Street HS we provide a range of face-to-face and online study skills programs to support students from Year 7 to 12. Our study skills program aims to ensure that Fortian’s develop the confidence and skills required to improve their organisational skills, reach their academic potential and facilitate independent learning.
Junior Study Skills
Tools for Success is designed to support Year 7 students to develop and enhance their study skills and homework habits. The aim of this presentation is to assist students in establishing highly effective study skills and to provide their parents or carers with expert advice about how best to support their child in high school. This session is highly interactive and both parents and students need to attend to get the best value from the training.
What does this session include?
- Managing homework and assignments effectively by efficient time management
- Learning to be organised for school and at home
- Working and studying effectively in high school
Achieving your Personal Best is designed for students in Year 10 as a study skills check-up; a way for students to learn new techniques and to find our the areas they specifically need to work on. This session is highly interactive and both parents and students need to attend to get the best value from the training.
The main areas that will be covered are:
- Making learning more efficient and effective
- Organisation and time management skills
- Improving study notes and study skills
- Dealing with the obstacles and problems
Senior Study Skills
Study Sensei by Elevate is designed for Year 11 students and aims to achieve behavioural change amongst students. This course teaches students how to study and what to study, encourages consistent study throughout the year and looks specifically at how to take and structure effective study notes. This seminar is interactive and workshop based.
- Utilising the syllabus to frame study
- Structuring and reviewing organised notes
- Conceptual learning to develop deep understanding
- Utilising practice exam papers
- Standing out through independent learning
In Year 12 Fortians take part in the HSC Study Day which is designed to assist students in their preparations for the HSC. Delivered by specialist teachers, sessions include:
- ATAR and moderation
- Effective study tips
- NESA rules and procedures
- Disability provision applications and the Educational Access Scheme (EAS) applications
The Study Skills Handbook
Fortians and their parents have access to this online handbook which is covers a range of topics students can work through to develop their study skills.
The handbook covers the units listed below:
- Working Better at Home
- Skills for Specific Stages
- Working Better at School
- Improving How You Study
- Improving your Skills
- Using Technology
- Tools for Managing Challenges
Students and parents can access the online study skills handbook here
The Homework Centre and Drop in Sessions
The Learning and Support Team run afternoon sessions to help students with a range of study skills. In these sessions, you can get help with:
- Understanding assessment task requirements
- Assignment writing and structure
- Feedback on assignment drafts
- Finding references and other information resources
- Avoiding plagiarism and referencing
- Time management, study planning and exam preparation
The Homework Centre is held in the Library every Monday and Wednesday from 3:15pm – 4:10pm
For more information about the Homework Centre, please contact the Fort Street High School Learning Centre.